- MSAgilent Bruker Extrel JEOL Kratos Perkin Elmer SCIEX Shimadzu Thermo Varian Waters (Micromass/VG) FLIR/Griffin Inficon/Leybold/Balzers MKS/UTI Hiden Dupont/CEC Nermag Vestec Filaments Heaters/Sensors Wire Material Electron Multipliers Probe/Sample Vials Ion Transfer Tubes Calibration Compounds MALDI-TOF Supplies Ceramic Insulators Cleaning Supplies Other Filament Repair Source Cleaning Transfer Line Repair GC Injection Port Repair Vacuum Feedthru Repair Other Repair Services NIST MS Library Wiley MS Libraries SIMION® 8.1 Catalog Page A1 Catalog Page B1
- VacuumPumps Oils/Greases Gauge & Tubes Hose & Accessories Filters - Oil/Charcoal Foreline Traps Gaskets & Material Fittings O-Rings Pump Parts (Precision Plus) Quality Monitor System Distillation Control Acoustic Enclosures For Rotary Vane Pumps Other Vacuum Accessories Digital Vacuum pressure regulator (VPC) Catalog Page F1
- Mass Spectrometry - Thermo Finnigan MS RepairThermo/Finnigan Part Number Cross Reference Filament Repair Source Cleaning Thermo GCQ/DSQ & DSQII Source Heater Repair Finnigan MAT 4000 Baffle Repair Thermo/Finnigan MAT 4000 and 4500 Solid Inlet Valve Bellows Assembly Thermo/Finnigan MAT Ceramic Insulator Cleaning C.I. Reagent Gas Line Repair Thermo/Finnigan MAT 4500/4600 Collector Repair & Cleaning Thermo/Finnigan MAT OWA Collector Cleaning 01504-60020 Thermo/Finnigan MAT/Varian MAT, New and Repaired Compression Stamps Thermo/Finnigan MAT Injection Port Repair Thermo/Finnigan MAT Vacuum Flange Repairs Thermo/Finnigan MAT 3200 Heater Repair or New Thermo 5100 Source Heater Thermo 4500/4600/TSQ Source Heaters Thermo/Finnigan MAT Ion Collector Repair Thermo/Finnigan MAT Source Ion Volume Insert Cleaning Thermo/Finnigan MAT OWA/3000 Ion Volume Repair Glass Jet Separator Repair and Cleaning Custom Repair of Thermo/Finnigan MAT Vacuum Flanges Thermo/Finnigan MAT PRT Lead Repair Thermo/Finnigan MAT Connecting Lead Repair Thermo/Finnigan MAT Lead Repair Thermo/Finnigan MAT Lens Heater Repair or New Thermo/Finnigan MAT 4000 Lens Plate Repair Thermo/Finnigan MAT Mass Spectrometer Probe Repairs Separator Divert Assembly Repair Thermo/Finnigan MAT 4000 Source Plate Repair Thermo/Finnigan MAT 3200 Elbow Assembly Repair Thermo/Finnigan MAT 4000 (#40006-60470)
Thermo/Finnigan MAT 4500 (#42000-60004)
GLT Elbow Assembly Repair Thermo/Finnigan MAT 5100 GLT Repair on Elbow Assembly Transfer Line Repair Thermo/Finnigan MAT 5100 Transfer Line Repair Thermo/Finnigan MAT OWA Transfer Line Repair MAT90 Transfer Line Repair Thermo/Finnigan 3000 EI Transfer Line Assembly Repair Thermo/Finnigan MAT Movable Transfer Line Repair Thermo/Finnigan MAT Dual Transfer Line Repair
- Filters - Oil/Charcoal
- Koby Vacuum Pump Exhaust Filters (This Page)
- Low Pressure Disposable Koby filter provides high efficiency filtration at low operating pressures with minimal pressure drop.
- High Pressure Disposable Koby Filters are used to remove heavy concentrates of vapors, aerosols, and particulates from compressed air and vacuum air.
- Mini Disposable Small, compact air filter/purifier is specifically designed to remove trace contaminants from compressed air, or gas.
- Quick Change Final Filter Purifiers Highly efficient units scrub the air free of typical compressed air contaminants such as oil vapor, oil mist, moisure droplets, fine particle, odors, andother foreign matter.
- Noise Mufflers Disposable Noise Muffler Air Purifiers help reduce excessive noise levels within OSHA standards. In addition, units remove unwanted contaminants from exhaust air and intake air.
- Vacuum Pump In-Line Air Purifiers Disposable Vacuum Pump In-Line Air Purifiers, Models VP-100, VP-200, VP-300, VP-400, are specifically designed to remove harmful organic vapors, aerosols, fine particles, and other foreign matter from vacuum air and compressed air. Units prevent pollution of laboratory and industrial work environments. Models 250-JCB, 500-SKB, MF-4SKCB, Vacuum Pump In-line Air Purifiers are recommended for installation after mercury filled manometers, instruments and other calibration equipment.
Koby Air Purifiers are installed on exhaust ports of roughing pumps to adsorb remaining compressed air contaminants such as oil aerosols, oil vapors, certain other hydrocarbon vapors, and trace moisture. They also trap all foreign solid particles such as dirt, dust, rust, and pipe scale down to 0.5 microns in size. In addition, Koby Air Purifiers can be used for efficient adsorption and removal of organic vapors and aerosols, noxious odors, certain foreign gases and bacteria, and are effective in removing certain inorganic vapors and aerosols from compressed air and vacuum air.
The Koby Charcoal Filters are highly recommended to be placed on the exhaust of vacuum pumps that are normally vented directly into the laboratory. SIS has undertaken extensive studies on the application and efficiency of the Koby filters when used on vacuum pump exhausts. Vacuum exhaust air which is exhausted through the Koby filter, has been shown to be cleaner than normal room air.
It is normally recommended that the Koby carbon filters be used in conjunction with an oil mist eliminator. The oil mist eliminator traps and returns the oil to the vacuum pump, preventing this oil from saturating the charcoal filter which will reduce its life. The Koby Air Purifier removes any remaining contamination which might otherwise be emitted into the laboratory air. However in applications where the gas ballast valve is not used and large volumes of air are not purged through the vacuum pump, the Koby trap can be attached directly to the vacuum pump.
Koby Charcoal Filter Mounted on a Vacuum Pump Exhaust
- Purifies Exhaust Gases from Vacuum Pumps
- Adsorbs Organic Vapors and Small Particles
- 50 Grams of Activated Charcoal in Each Trap
- High Efficiency Filtration
- Minimal Pressure Drop
- Low Operating Cost
- Maintenance Free
- Completely Disposable
- Pressure Safe to 90 PSI
- Easily Installed and Replaced
- Equalizes Air Flow
- Helps Maintain Safe Working Environment
- ¼" NPT Brass Male Fittings
Effect of Vacuum Pump Exhaust Filtering
The chart above shows the steps in filtering air from a vacuum pump after 1.0 mL of gasoline was injected into the pump. The top chromatograph shows the low boiling organics as well as high boiling hydrocarbons that are exhausted out of the vacuum pump before any filtering. The second chromatogram shows the exhaust air after the oil mist eliminator - the oil mist eliminator traps the heavy hydrocarbons from the pump oil and returns them to the pump. The bottom chromatogram shows the exhaust air after it is filtered through the Koby trap - the exhaust air is cleaner than the normal room air.
The carbon used in the manufacture of Koby Air Purifiers has a huge internal and external surface area with an affinity for adsorbing organic contaminants. Each gram of carbon has a surface area of approximately 1500 sq. meters, making Koby Air Purifiers particularly efficient for most air purification and gas phase applications.
Actual Adsorption capacity can be as high as 80% of carbon weight depending on the specific compound being removed. Generally (but not always), adsorption capacity of activated carbon increases with molecular weight, boiling point, and concentration of contaminants. Compounds with low molecular weights, and or highly polar compounds will not be sufficiently adsorbed at low concentrations.
General List of Contaminants removed by Koby Vacuum Pump In-Line Air Filter/Purifiers (VP Series)
|Contaminants||Initial Removal Efficiency||% of Carbon Weight
Adsorbed for Individual
|Oil Mist||99.99%||50 - 60%|
|Oil Aerosols||99.99%||50 - 60%|
|Oil Vapors||99.9%||50 - 60%|
|Hydrocarbon Vapors||99.99%||50 - 60%|
|Moisture Droplets||99.99%||30 - 50%|
|Dust||To 0.5 microns||N/A|
|Dirt||to 0.5 microns||N/A|
|Pipe Scale||to 0.5 microns||N/A|
|Rust||to 0.5 microns||N/A|
|Fine Particles||to 0.5 microns||N/A|
|Organic Solvent Vapors||Until Noticeable||15 - 45%|
|Trace Organic Gases||Until Noticeable||15 - 45%|
|Toxic Vapors||Until Noticeable||15 - 45%|
|Mercury Vapors||See Mercury Removal||N/A|
|Water Vapor||Limited2||30 - 50%|
|Bulk Liquid Water||Not Removed||N/A|
|Bulk Liquid Oil||Not Removed||N/A|
Note: - List of contaminants above apply only to M1N, M2N, KF2, and DF0.
1. If more than one contaminant is present in airstream, the percent of carbon wight adsorbed for individual contaminants will vary.
2. Koby air Purifiers will no lower the dewpoint, but will remove enough water vapor to help prevent the formation of condensates at point of air use. Desiccant adsorbents are available to provide outlet pressure dewpoints to -100 °F.
N/A - not applicable
Vacuum Pump Exhaust Filters
The Koby air purifiers can be mounted in various configurations depending on your vacuum system requirements. The air purifier can be fitted with a QF25100SP25 fitting to enable it to mount directly on top of the exhaust port on the Adixen vacuum pump. The rubber flap should be removed from the vacuum pump exhaust port.
The Koby air purifier does not need to be placed directly on top of the vacuum pump. In many systems where space is limited, it is more convenient to attach a hose to the pump exhaust port and then using a KF-1, KF-2, or KF-3 fitting, adapt the Koby air purifier to fit the hose. It is also practical, using these same fittings, to run a hose or vacuum line from the top or exit nipple of the air purifier to exhaust any remaining contaminants to a hood or building exhaust system.
Koby Air Purifiers do not have a visual change element and must be replaced periodically to insure efficient adsorption and filtration of compressed air impurities. For best performance, filters should be replaced after 30 days of use or sooner, when air sampling indicates outward air quality has reached an unacceptable level. Actual purifier life can vary depending on flow rate, concentration of contaminants, and operation temperature. Purifiers will not deteriorate when not in use.
For additional information and the results of our studies visit the SIS Application Notes on Vacuum Pump Exhaust Filters: